For Approval: BSD License, PostgreSQL Variant

Michael Tiemann tiemann at opensource.org
Thu Oct 11 23:41:17 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/07, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at opensource.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > Licenses like the GPL (versions 2 and 3) are cohort sinks: they permit
> > others to relicense under their terms
>
> Huh? What do you mean by "relicense", Mr. Tiemann?

I mean that if I create something under the FOO license, and the FOO license
says "When this code is combined with the GPL (version 2 or version 3), it
can be relicensed under the appropriate version of the GPL.  I did not mean
to imply that GPL-covered software could be relicensed under other licensing
terms.  Licenses like the SimPL explicitly permit relicensing under the GPL.