Microsoft's Open Source Licenses

Jon Rosenberg (PBM) jonr at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 2 03:03:34 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone - During the approval process, Sam Ramji, Bill Hilf and I committed to communicating with license-discuss on the changes we planned to make to our Open Source and Shared Source web properties.  These changes will be designed to ensure clarity around the messaging of the Shared Source Initiative and how it relates to the OSI approved licenses.  I wanted to follow-up on that promise by outlining the planned updates in order to provide transparency to the license-discuss community with regard to this revised messaging.

Site Updates:

*         The Shared Source site will classify source code licenses by type. "Open Source" will be one type. The OSI approved licenses will be distinguished from our product source licenses and from other licenses that may conform to many, but not all, provisions of the OSD.

*         The OSI approved licenses will live on www.microsoft.com/opensource/<http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/> - separate from the Shared Source Initiative web site.

*         Only projects licensed under the MS-PL and MS-RL will be described as "Open Source"

These updates are well underway and targeted to go-live by the end of November, 2007.  As always I welcome your feedback.

Thanks,

 Jon