Submitting GPLv3 and LGPLv3 for OSI inclusion.

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:48:44 UTC 2007

Thanks Michael;

As an FYI: I didn't just submit it to be cute, but I think that it
deserves the same review we give all new potential open source
licenses. The amendments section, for instance, makes me wary.

Chris

On 6/29/07, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I believe that our License Approval committee chair, Russ Nelson, is now
> traveling, but on behalf of the board, I'd like to thank you for
> submitting this license to the process.  Having been an OSI board
> member, you probably know all this, but to remind everybody, the Board
> approves licenses based on (1) input from the community, (2) the
> recommendation of the Chair, and (3) our own readings of the license and
> the Open Source Definition (to which we are ultimately accountable).  We
> have board meetings scheduled for July 11th,  July 23rd (at OSCON), and
> August 8th, which provides a number of near-term opportunities for the
> Board to act upon the recommendation of the Chair.  And we have
> subsequent meetings scheduled through into 2008.
>
> The Chair typically makes their recommendation after the community
> (represented by the 1000+ subscribers to this list) have made themselves
> heard.  In my experience, the community does a pretty good job of
> converging to a position that the Chair can report, and the Chair does a
> pretty good job of making a recommendation that's faithful to that
> position.  (In the last board meeting, we failed to approve one license
> because of an administrative error, but we will revisit that decision in
> the upcoming board meeting.)
>
> Because I have blogged favorably on previous drafts of the GPLv3 (see
> ,http://opensource.org/node/130)  I think you know where I stand in
> general, but because we now have a new (and final) version, I must read
> it again as if it is the first time.  I would invite each of you (so
> inclined) to do the same.  I look forward to your input, and to
> receiving a recommendation from the Chair when he is ready to make one.
> As President of the OSI, I can assure you that we will call the vote
> just as soon as we have a proper motion to do so.
>
> Have a great weekend!

Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com
Personal Weblog: http://dibona.com