Submitting GPLv3 and LGPLv3 for OSI inclusion.

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 18:07:52 UTC 2007

Chris,

I believe that our License Approval committee chair, Russ Nelson, is now
traveling, but on behalf of the board, I'd like to thank you for
submitting this license to the process.  Having been an OSI board
member, you probably know all this, but to remind everybody, the Board
approves licenses based on (1) input from the community, (2) the
recommendation of the Chair, and (3) our own readings of the license and
the Open Source Definition (to which we are ultimately accountable).  We
have board meetings scheduled for July 11th,  July 23rd (at OSCON), and
August 8th, which provides a number of near-term opportunities for the
Board to act upon the recommendation of the Chair.  And we have
subsequent meetings scheduled through into 2008.

The Chair typically makes their recommendation after the community
(represented by the 1000+ subscribers to this list) have made themselves
heard.  In my experience, the community does a pretty good job of
converging to a position that the Chair can report, and the Chair does a
pretty good job of making a recommendation that's faithful to that
position.  (In the last board meeting, we failed to approve one license
because of an administrative error, but we will revisit that decision in
the upcoming board meeting.)

Because I have blogged favorably on previous drafts of the GPLv3 (see
,http://opensource.org/node/130)  I think you know where I stand in
general, but because we now have a new (and final) version, I must read
it again as if it is the first time.  I would invite each of you (so
inclined) to do the same.  I look forward to your input, and to
receiving a recommendation from the Chair when he is ready to make one.
As President of the OSI, I can assure you that we will call the vote
just as soon as we have a proper motion to do so.

Have a great weekend!