LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 = problems?

Jesse Hannah jesse.hannah at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:16:23 UTC 2007

On 15 Jul 2007, at 01:59, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> Article 5c of GPLv3 says that "You must license the entire work,
> as a whole, under this License to anyone who comes into possession
> of a copy."
>
> The problem is that you can't license the LGPLv21 parts under
> GPLv3.
>
> LGPLv21 has an automatic compatibility provision with GPLv2,
> so in the past this was never a problem.

But I could license the LGPL v2.1 parts under the LGPL v3:

     This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
     License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
     version 2.1 of the License, ***or (at your option) any later
version.***

The way I'm reading that, I'm free to redistribute the library under
the LGPL v3 if I want to, meaning (presumably) that I can use it with
a GPLv3 program. Does that sound right?

--jbh

~~~~
Jesse B Hannah