LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 = problems?

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sun Jul 15 08:59:28 UTC 2007

Jesse Hannah wrote:
> Would using (linking, including/redistributing unmodified) a library
> that's licensed under the LGPL version 2.1 with a program that's
> licensed under the GPL version 3 cause any weird problems? My initial

My initial thought is that you can't do that, or at least you can't
distribute the result.

GPLv3 defines any linked libraries as being part of the
Corresponding Source, assuming the GPLv3 program "is specifically
designed to require" this LGPLv21 library.

Article 5c of GPLv3 says that "You must license the entire work,
as a whole, under this License to anyone who comes into possession
of a copy."

The problem is that you can't license the LGPLv21 parts under
GPLv3.

LGPLv21 has an automatic compatibility provision with GPLv2,
so in the past this was never a problem.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/