Do I need to inform my employer before contributing to an Open Source Project?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Jul 7 22:00:40 UTC 2007

Rick Moen scripsit:

> USA law in general permits you to stupidly sign away (most) rights you
> would otherwise enjoy via one-sided contracts,

Worse than that: in most U.S. states other than California, *whatever*
work a professional employee does belongs to his employer unless there
is an explicit agreement otherwise.

> as John Cowan says, the amount of statutory protection
> against predatory employment contracts depends on on state jurisdiction.

Rather, I say that some states make employment contracts predatory
even if the contract doesn't say so.

--
You annoy me, Rattray!  You disgust me!         John Cowan
You irritate me unspeakably!  Thank Heaven,     cowan at ccil.org
I am a man of equable temper, or I should       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
scarcely be able to contain myself before
your mocking visage.            --Stalky imitating Macrea