Do I need to inform my employer before contributing to an Open Source Project?

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:25:35 UTC 2007

Joseph,

IANAL, but I've been working with big companies for many years to
make Open Source possible inside.  It's an unfortunate part of "at
will" employment in America that many states support an employer's
rights to all your inventions while under employ.  This is a long-
standing rule.  So for instance when Steve Wozniak made the first
Apple motherboard in the late 1970s, he had to take it in to his
employers at HP to ask if they wanted to exercise their rights to
it.  They said, "No Thanks" and the rest is history...but he was
legally required to ask.  More recently in some states this right has
been successfully challenged (California happens to be one of them).

In California you can (thanks to a couple of lawsuits) now work on
whatever you want on your private time (although you are well advised
to document the fact that you have expended none of your employer
resources...not even the copy machine...while working on your private
invention).  So you *can* work on an open source project without your
employers consent in California, but you would be wise to use use
your own computer, your own internet connection, your own email
account, etc. and of course you can't expose your company's trade
secrets as part of your after hours work.  Responsible project
communities (like Apache) will require you to sign a consent form
that documents that you have the right to participate.

At Sun we decided that since the bulk of employees worked in
California, any employee should have the right to pursue Open Source
and we wrote a company guideline to this effect.  Yet several years
later, we were still having individual employees come to us with
complaints about their managers (outside of California).  The right
to all your work is a deep-seated concept in the minds of bosses who
want to make sure they are getting every scrap of productive work out
of you.  Companies like Google and 3M who allow "personal projects"
during work are in theory more enlightened.  During times of very low
unemployment in the technology sector (like 2000 in Silicon Valley)
there is opportunity for workers to push back on draconian employment
policies.  As I always say, nothing ever changes without somebody
throwing their body in front of the train...but whether you are that
body or not is up to you, ultimately.  Nobody can give you that advice.

Danese