Which license to use?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 12 05:38:00 UTC 2007

kloprogge at pointlogic.com wrote:
> This has been very helpful, thanks!

Great. Feel free to post later if you have more questions. I recommend
you stay on the list for a while. :)

>>  To give an example: if I choose a license that states that all versions
>> of the software should remain open source, would I then be able to
>> create a version that is not open source?
>
> Yes.  This is the model used by, for instance, Sun.  They license
> OpenOffice under the LGPL (an open source license) but also distribute
> some of the same code under a proprietary license as StarOffice.

I should clarify something.  This requires that your company hold *all*
the copyright for the software you release under the proprietary
license.  This means if you accept contributions from the community,
they must be assigned (possibly jointly) to the company; following the
example of Sun again, see http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf

Matthew Flaschen