Which license to use?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 12 03:18:56 UTC 2007

kloprogge at pointlogic.com wrote:
> Matthew, thanks this is very helpful.
>
> Just one more question, if the holder of the company remains the owner of the copyright (and basically license others to certain rights including obligations), would this mean that the rules set out
> in the license agreement don't apply to the holder of the copyright.

Correct.

 To give an example: if I choose a license that states that all versions
of the software should remain open source, would I then be able to
create a version that is not open source?

Yes.  This is the model used by, for instance, Sun.  They license
OpenOffice under the LGPL (an open source license) but also distribute
some of the same code under a proprietary license as StarOffice.

Matthew Flaschen