Question on OSD #5

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:07:58 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 7:58 PM, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> Chris Travers wrote:
> > Any reason why a permissive license won't work for you?  In an academic
> > environment it would seem to be the best choice of licenses anyway
> because
> > it allows all members of the community to use the tax-supported work
> > anyway.
> >
> > Best Wishes,
> > Chris Travers
>
> If the work is primarily government funded, I would suggest releasing
> under PD.

The big concern about releasing work into the PD is that there is no
obligation for someone to pass on the representation that a  given package
may not be fit for any given purpose.  Hence there is a concern about
openning oneself up to lawsuits regarding warranties, etc.

IANAL, but I have generally heard that argument as a common one to suggest a
permissive license as opposed to the public domain.  However, if this is an
issue, I would definitely suggest that an individual purchase valid legal
advice about the specific facts in the case.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers