Take 3: Editors and Trackers

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Dec 5 04:03:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 2:10 PM, Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On Dec 4, 2007, at 8:12 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> > Mailing lists are pretty terrible for keeping away those who operate
> > in bad faith, but wikis (and their document-centered, rather than
> > discussion-centered, model) have a lot of baked-in technology that
> > makes it much easier. That, IMHO, even more strongly suggests that the
> > default should be fixing/banning bad behavior instead of limiting
> > access only to the privileged/expert.
>
> I agree that we should move towards that.  Right now, I'm not
> confident we have sufficient social *and* technical measures in place
> to manage bad behavior (or even articulate a consensus of what that
> is!).  That is why I wanted to start with a group of elders/editors,
> to establish some norms against which we can measure future behavior.

Fair. It is certainly accurate to say that there is a lack of norms
around here :)

Technical measures should not be a problem if you're using any
reasonably powerful wiki software, though I think Chris has some
interesting points about using a CMS instead, and frankly, trac, as
much as I love it for some needs, probably doesn't fall into the
category of reasonably powerful wiki software.

> I can nominate you to join them, if you want to take a more active
> role in the process. :-)

I'd love to, but I think I'm about to take on a load of related tasks
so taking on Yet More is probably not the right thing for me to do
right now. I've said my piece, at any rate, and you have put good
people in place. I'll certainly feel privileged to scream if this
isn't a transparent, open process in a year. :)

Luis