For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 01:30:00 UTC 2007

On 8/21/07, Michael R. Bernstein <michael at fandomhome.com> wrote:

> This ignores the role of the word 'only'. This means that MS-PL is
> incompatible with every other license, even the BSD license. That's a
> bit different than being incompatible with some other licenses due to
> conflicting requirements.

What conflicting requirements?  I don't think conflicting wording ==
conflicting requirements.

Ok, let us *actually* look at the wording  of the BSDL, we find the
following wording which I believe is entirely equivalent (from the OSI
listing):

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Note that I am *not* allowed to change the license of BSDL code I distribute
as part of my GPL'd application.  How is the MS-PL different?

Best Wishesm
Chris Travers