Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:58:52 UTC 2006

On 9/26/06, Matthew Flaschen <superm40 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ben Tilly wrote:
>
> >> Also see
> >> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCWhatDoesWrittenOfferValid,
> >> which states quite directly you as a distributor "are not
> >> required to do anything physically" for all unrelated third parties.
> >
> > This language I do NOT see in the FAQ.
>
> It is a light paraphrase of
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCTheGPLSaysModifiedVersions
>
> However, again, this is a licensing issue, separate from physically
> providing source.

Ah.  Thanks for finding that.

In which case you're exactly right.  All third parties have a license
from you but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to do anything for
them.  You only have a requirement to do something for them if there
was an additional reason for you to have that requirement.  For
instance you distributed under 3 b and they come in possession of your
offer.

So, as you said, the licensing issue is separate from physically
providing source.  In both version 2 and the proposed draft of version
3.

Cheers,
Ben