For Approval: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 2.0

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 20:55:12 UTC 2006

> I assume you are referring to the latest version of TrueCrypt and to
> the TCL 1.0. In order to simplify the TCL 2.0, we reduced the number of

I simply inferred it from the presence of what is basically the OpenSSL
licence and unlikelihood that you had made sufficiently non-trivial
changes to all its source files to create new copyrights for all of
them, that would justify your enforcing the pseudo-trademark on all
of them.

> the component licenses from 6 to 3. The source code of TrueCrypt will
> reflect these changes. For example, the SSLeay component will be
> completely removed from TrueCrypt.

In that case, the SSLeay advertising clause should have been removed
from the licence.  Again, it worries me that you don't seem to know
whether or not you need that advertisement.   I think this clause
arises because OpenSSL didn't have your philosophy and did create
an overall licence that was simultaneously compatible with all the
input ones without getting the recipient to do the merging.