For Approval: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 2.0

Tomas Novak counsel at truecrypt.org
Thu Jul 13 16:47:11 UTC 2006

David Woolley wrote:

> - misuse of licence agreements to implement trademarks;

Hi David,

In our opinion, as regards product names and trademarks, e.g., the PHP
License 3.0, Apache Software License 1.1, or the Apache License 2.0,
which are all OSI-certified, seem to require things similar to those
required by the TCL.

> - there seem to be too few component licences, which makes me
> suspect that someone has taken the SSLEAY code and tried to assert
> copyright on some of the files by only changing the copyright notice
> (I'd expect to see an OpenSSL licence without the trademark
> conditions, if you were really having component licences for every
> different licence involved);

I assume you are referring to the latest version of TrueCrypt and to
the TCL 1.0. In order to simplify the TCL 2.0, we reduced the number of
the component licenses from 6 to 3. The source code of TrueCrypt will
reflect these changes. For example, the SSLeay component will be
completely removed from TrueCrypt.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,
Tomas Novak