OVPL summary

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Wed Sep 14 20:31:07 UTC 2005

Alex Bligh wrote:

>> But what about the fact that any *private* changes you make to the
>> software can be demanded by the ID and incorporated into both their
>> proprietary version *and* the public version, regardless of your
wishes?

> Only if you distribute them. In which case they are (by definition)
not
> private. If you make the changes privately, and don't distribute them,
> the ID does not get rights to them.

Well, actually, either if you "distribute" them, or "make available."
We previously spent quite a few electrons establishing that "make
available" (a term you inherited from CDDL) in this context is
intended to mean "deploy via web services," and that you don't intend
to allow IDs to demand access to non-public changes.

Since this question keeps coming up, perhaps you could re-float the
clarification you proposed around a tighter definition of "make
available"?

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center