Educational Community License question

Jules hammerjammer at hammerjammer.net
Fri Nov 4 05:31:04 UTC 2005

Whoops, sorry forgot to ask one more question :)

After going through the ECL, i noticed an ambiguity in the language
of the current License, specifically:

"Permission to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and
sublicense this Original Work and its documentation, with or without
modification, for any purpose, and without fee or royalty to the
copyright holder(s) is hereby granted, provided that you include the
following on ALL copies of the Original Work or portions thereof,
including modifications or derivatives, that you make:

The full text of the Educational Community License in a location
viewable to users of the redistributed or derivative work.

Any pre-existing intellectual property disclaimers, notices, or terms
and conditions."  <----ambiguity here: this line read in the context
of the "Permissions" para above doesn't require the user to do
anything, e.g. "...,that you make:  Any pre-existing intellectual
property disclaimers, notices, or terms and conditions."
Huh? Make what? :) -->

Is it possible for the OSI Board or whoever is maintaining this
license to amend this to:

""Permission to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and
sublicense this Original Work and its documentation, with or without
modification, for any purpose, and without fee or royalty to the
copyright holder(s) is hereby granted, provided that you include the
following on ALL copies of the Original Work or portions thereof,
including modifications or derivatives, that you make:

The full text of the Educational Community License in a location
viewable to users of the redistributed or derivative work.

Any pre-existing intellectual property disclaimers, notices, or terms
and conditions IN A LOCATION VIEWABLE TO USERS OF THE REDISTRIBUTED
OR DERIVATIVE WORK."  (additions in CAPS, words similar to previous
paragraph)

Basically is it possible to add on the words found in the preceding
paragraph to the next paragraph to make it more sensible & clear?

Or do i have to submit an application for a new license with just the
new words added?  (seems like a waste of everyone's time to me :) )

Thanks,
Julian