restricting the use of open source software

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Mon Mar 28 19:09:48 UTC 2005

Steve Quinn writes:

> I'm not sure anyone is understanding my point.  And yet, it is also
> possible that there is nothing to worry about anyway...  But, I
> still think that unless my license contains a clause similar to that
> of Intel's license, I could be in violation of US export law and not
> even know it as soon as someone from an embargoed state downloads
> and uses my software.  And yet I have no control over this.

Do you have any legal foundation for this concern, or is it paranoia?

I do not think that concern is worth addressing unless someone
presents plausibly applicable statute or case law that holds a person
criminally liable for the illegal actions of a third party where the
only link between the two is an incidental contact (such as 3rdParty
downloads Person's software).

Michael Poole