Which license is recommended?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Mar 22 04:40:33 UTC 2005

Alan Rihm writes:
 > Please recommend a license that does the following:
 >
 > Requires any of our notices, including our "Powered By" tag, to remain
 > in the UI (and source code) of our software.

There is no already-approved license which does that.  In order to
accomplish that you'll have to assert that your copyright covers
public performances (that is to say, construction of a web page).
Copyright law gives you control over that, although I don't know of
anybody who actually tries to control it.  You might find people
resistant to the idea, and since you WANT people to use your code, you
might not be successful.

You'll need to contact a lawyer.

There's certainly precedent for language that requires the non-removal
of notices; the GPL requires that an interactive program print its
copyright and GPL permission notice when it starts up.

 > The information transmitted is intended only for the person or
 > privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
 > other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
 > information by persons or entities other than the intended
 > recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
 > contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

My SMTP server (which is also OSI's SMTP server) offered to receive
your email.  That offer is conditional upon the email not being UCE,
nor UBE, nor a replay probe, and you are notified that no disclaimer
will be respected.  Your SMTP client accepted that offer in exchange
for the good and valuable consideration of having your email accepted.
A binding contract has been formed between you and I which overrides
your disclaimer.

--
--My blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | The laws of physics cannot
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | be legislated.  Neither can