For Approval: Open-Realty License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Wed Jun 1 03:30:28 UTC 2005

I think most of these questions raise potentially interesting practical
concerns, but I doubt that these questions identify  licensing or open
source issues.

The requirement in paragraph 4 seems to simply require  a user to leave a
preexisting HTML comment alone, rather than require  the creator of a
derivative work to create an HTML statement of their own.

It's difficult for me to think of HTML statements used for the purpose for
which HTML is intended as Not being technology neutral. But, perhaps,
paragraph 4 could be improved to overcome the objections that seem to be
raised by these questions by using text like the following:

"4. All websites using Open-Realty must leave the html commented line that
reads or displays the following text:
Open-Realty is distributed by Transparent Technologies and is licensed under
the Open-Realty License."

The program itself could Display the HTML comment by default, and the
license world permit those who prepare derivative works to edit the default
HTML comment as lay as the displayed text was essentially the same
regardless of whether HTML, JavaScript, XML, or anything else.

Rod