brainstorming

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Fri Jan 14 21:12:33 UTC 2005

Thorsten

I think you do not get the point.

I know that Philips and Sony are swapping rights under internationally
recognized patents; and that there is no problem with this.

I know that the Open Source Community cannot do the same with respect to the
Proprietary Software Community (I call them the Closed Predatory Community)
because we are not holding patents on our inventions. [irrespective of
whether you believe in software patents or not; that is not the debate going
on here].

I am asking if it is possible to create an homologous reciprocity by using the
Open Source License in a new way... namely as a contract.

If we can use our license as a contract (and if copyright law does not give us
that contract, can we then find the legal basis for making a contract) which
shall give us something to exchange in return for the right to use the
patents of the Proprietary Software Community.

If this could be done, the Proprietary Software Community would not forced to
forego their patents. If they want to operate in a closed patent protected
world, they should have the freedom to do so. However, they should then be
prevented from making any use of the innovations, ideas, patterns,
algorithms, code and what every else that have been and are being produced by
the Open Source Community; these being, of course, innovations, ideas,
patterns, algorithms, code and what every else that might have been patented,
but that were not patented and were given away on an Open Source License.

The practical consequences can be illustrated with this example.
Suppose Microsoft used an Open Source innovation in Word.
Then, all Microsoft Patents which are used in producing Word, would become the
property of the Open Source Community.
If Microsoft doesn't want this, then it should be incumbent on Microsoft to
make sure that no innovations, ideas, patterns, algorithms, code and what
every else from the Open Source Community can be found in their product.

At present the Open Source Community is desperately trying to make sure that
no bits of protected proprietary software are used in Open Source Software.

Well, let us create a situation where the Proprietary Software Community shall
be forced to "desperately" make sure that no bits of Open Source innovation
are used in their software. That shall certainly be desperate, because almost
everything of value today comes from the Open Source Community. Microsoft is
not an innovator... it is a predator.

We must find a way to create an equality of power between the two communities,
otherwise we may be destroyed by the Closed Predatory Community in the coming
patent wars.

Benjamin Rossen