OASIS appeal does NOT affect OpenDocument

David Webber (XML) david at drrw.info
Tue Feb 22 23:12:29 UTC 2005

David,

It's a ticking bomb.  The sunset date on the current
un-IPR status of OpenDocument is currently 2 years.

But the OASIS board changed this from 9 months,
to 15 months to 2 years in the past three months.
They could just as easily change it again to say
90 days, starting next week if they felt like it.

Also - your spec' is in draft.  Currently the Board has
said nothing on this issue.  What if they decide that
TC's going to public vote on their spec's *have* to
adopt one of the evil 3 IPR choices?

If you think OpenDocument is not affected by this
potentially - dream on!   Right this second it might
not - because like all the other TCs the old IPR
policy is grandfathered - but how long before the
Board gets embolden and starts turning up the heat
on the hold-outs?

BTW - I already heard unofficially that the Board
discussed my suggested tactic - eg each TC adopting
a three paragraph statement in their Charter that
negated the IPR policy - and they are alerted to
that and are ready to not allow such changes to the
Charters....

Cheers, DW