Release comercial application's sources as GPL but with restr iction in usage

Chris Yoo cyoo at squiz.net
Tue Feb 15 22:17:03 UTC 2005

I think that accepting contibutions from others is a fundamental aspect of
the dual licensing model - improvements are continuously made by the
community (free, from the original copyright holder's perspective) and are
incorporated into the non-open source version for sale. Provided that
contributions also remain available under the open source licence, it's a
win-win situation for both the contributor and the original copyright
holder.

I am curious as to the nature of the 'joint' copyright assignment, as used
by openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/contributing/programming.html)? How
does this differ from an outright copyright assignment? Does it allow both
the contributor and the recipient to do as they wish with the contributions,
without the permission of the other party?

Regards,
Chris.