Proper license for plugins

Marcus Breese mbreese at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:38:52 UTC 2005

This is usually done with an LGPL or Apache style license, depending
on your goals.  I appologize, I've only started reading this thread.

Basically, the crux is how the plugins are linked.  If they require
code from the container to be linked in, then the container's license
must be compatible with commerical or open-source plugin licenses.  If
you'd like to keep the container as viral open-source, then the LGPL
would be appropriate.  In this case, plugins could be whatever license
the author would wish.  This is an inversion of the typical
application/library interaction, where the library is usally LGPL, but
I don't see that as a problem.

At least, that is my reading of the LGPL, I could be very wrong.

If you don't care about commercial derivatives of your container code,
then a more liberal license might be better suited (Apache, BSD, AFL).

In this case, what really matters is the interface.  How the interface
is licensed and accessed (language dependent) matters.

Oh, IANAL, etc...

Marcus Breese