NPO Developers License

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Apr 28 04:01:16 UTC 2005

The parameters that OSI uses to define acceptable Open Source licensing
were developed for the Debian project and the GNU/Linux CD that it
distributes. Debian's corporation, Software in the Public Interest,
holds IRS 501(c)3 status and is incorporated as an educational
non-profit in New York state.

We don't sell our copyrights for profit, and that is the real donated
resource. People sometimes sell compilations containing copies of our
work. You can make any number of copies, of course, without depleting
any resource other than disk space.

We've gone over this with counsel, as have a number of similar
organizations.

    Thanks

    Bruce