NPO Developers License

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Wed Apr 27 22:19:40 UTC 2005

Ernest Prabakhar wrote:

> However, it might be worth going back to your NPO to ensure that is
> really required.  For example, I presume the intent of that rule is
> to ensure that the needy people who receive goods do not 'cash in' on

> those donations.  For software, the situation is rather different.
> It may be worth asking them to think through whether a re-
> interpretation (or amendment) would best serve their desired purpose.

I will echo this advice to go back and push on whether no-commercial-use
licensing is truly a requirement, and observe that there are
absolute boatloads of free and open source software out there released
by 501(c)(3) nonprofit entities, from the original BSD and X
from Berkeley and MIT in the '80s to
the FSF, the Mozilla foundation, etc., etc. in the present day.

If your NPO absolutely *must* demonstrate that they are not profiting
by releasing software, they could waive copyright and place their
code in the public domain.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center