A prototype License Wizard up and running

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 11 00:25:37 UTC 2005

Russell Nelson wrote:

>Where would you put the NASA Open Source License (public domain for US citizens; copyright asserted only for non-US citizens)?

I would put the grant to U.S. citizens in a separate document from the
Open Source license.

>The Real Public Source License (if you redistribute, you grant a Gift license back to Author)?

I am interested in the way Reiser does this with the GPL (see the
licensing readme that comes with Reiserfs). But other than that, a "gift
to original contributor" term is not within the set that I am
recommending to any business. I have yet to see evidence that having
this sort of term embedded in the license has resulted in any
significant Open Source community.

>The Apple Public Source License (if you deploy, you must publish)?

This is a useful term for the sharing-mandiatory license. The Affero GPL
(http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html) is another of these.

    Thanks

    Bruce