compatibility and the OSD

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Thu Sep 23 05:31:29 UTC 2004

Russell Nelson wrote:

> NIH is as bad for licenses as it is for code.  We've handily solved
> the problem of software reuse; now if only we could solve the problem
> of license reuse.

Would make things easier if there was a categorized list of all OSD
licenses so that one could use one that already exists.  Currently,
(unless I'm missing something), there's just one big list, and you
have to read each and every one until you find one that works.
At minimum, licenses could be grouped into:

    MIT-like (very permissive),
    weak copyleft (MPL, LGPL)
    strong copyleft (GPL)

I'm sure that each could be further subcategorized, but that's left
as an exercise to the well-informed. :)

-r