FYI: Next draft of MySQL FLOSS license exception

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue May 18 03:51:32 UTC 2004

Zak Greant scripsit:

> The intent of the exception is to allow more Free/Libre and Open Source
> Software applications to be able to form derivative works with
> GPL-licensed MySQL software.

The exception says that the MySQL client code can be combined with
any code licensed under one of a laundry-list of FLOSS licenses.
However, it does not require that the resulting code be so licensed.
Thus, you could have component A licensed under the BSD license
(which does *not* require derivative works to be made available in
source form) combined with your libraries and the result delivered
in binary form only.  Presumably this is not what you want.

> If you have input to provide, please use the issue tracking system at
> http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/ or directly email me. I do ask
> that you review the existing issues in our issue tracking system before
> commenting. See http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/rptview?rn=8 for a
> list of issues.

I have sent this both direct to you and to the list.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,