Submitting a new license or using the current ones

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu May 6 19:46:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004 jcowan at reutershealth.com wrote:

> We have so many licenses because of the Not Invented Here principle:
> lawyers don't want to adopt the work of other lawyers as is, because
> how could they justify their fees then?

I am sure that's a part of the problem. However, I am curious how many
OSI-approved licenses were actually written by lawyers, percentage
wise? Lay modification of a lawyer-written license does not count!

> We really need only about two licenses: a reciprocal one and a
> non-reciprocal one.

Yeah, right! Granting patents one and non-granting patents one.
Terminating-if-sued one and perpetual one. Attributing one and
non-attributing one. Patches-only one and embedded changes one. Viral
and not. And I am sure I am missing a few other variations that some
people find essential.

Alex.