Submitting a new license or using the current ones

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu May 6 18:37:18 UTC 2004

Ian Lance Taylor scripsit:

> > I don't understand why there are so many licenses, if the open-source
> > specification is so rigid.
>
> I don't really understand it either.  I mean, I know how we got here
> step by step, but looking at the situation now it doesn't make much
> sense.

We have so many licenses because of the Not Invented Here principle: lawyers
don't want to adopt the work of other lawyers as is, because how could they
justify their fees then?

We really need only about two licenses: a reciprocal one and a non-reciprocal
one.  Perhaps we also need one that is reciprocal as to the code itself, but
not as to larger works in which the code is embedded.

--
There are three kinds of people in the world:   John Cowan
those who can count,                            http://www.reutershealth.com
and those who can't.                            jcowan at reutershealth.com