the provide, license verbs

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Thu Jun 10 13:09:00 UTC 2004

Hmm... I would not uncritically accept the principle that no matter what a
licensor says in her license,  a licensee must follow the restriction
because of an assumption that it is legally enforceable.  The rub -- no
doubt -- is that one must be careful not to ignore the terms of a license
at the same time as one is aware of  the tension created between this
default rule and the subjectivity involved in choosing not to follow terms
that seem unworkable. For example, most end-users, who never bothered to
read their software license in the first place, were said to routinely
violate proprietary license terms in the early 1990's that prohibited
making a second copy of the program disk of a software application (for
backup, archive, or any other purpose).  I never read that anyone of those
end-users, including myself, became defendants in a legal dispute brought
by the licensor.  Hence, my point that some aspect of our discussion is
purely academic.

Rod

---------
Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.