the provide, license verbs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 10 04:54:22 UTC 2004

Quoting No Spam (nospam at pixelglow.com):

> If distribute here means offer or give to the public (i.e. anyone who
> is not "you") then QPL 6c doesn't make any sense, since by definition
> then the item is available to the general public.

Not my reading.  It seems to me to say "If you distribute this outside
your personal world (e.g., intracompany) at all, then you must make your
work available directly to the original developer (us) upon request,
rather than obliging us to hunt it down."

Trolltech wants to be able to say "We hear you provided a modified Qt
toolkit to an external coder in Outer Mongolia.  We don't want to have
to seek out some guy in Ulan Bator, so kindly file-attach your changes
to return e-mail immediately, in accordance with QPL clause 6c."

--
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.
rick at linuxmafia.com