the provide, license verbs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 9 23:29:15 UTC 2004

Quoting Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. (rdixon at cyberspaces.org):

> Now, that is a genuine academic argument. I am sure the issue will never be
> resolved to everyone's satisfaction...primarily because no one cares enough
> about what you do to software you lawfully possess and want to hack for
> private and personal use. Who would bring such a lawsuit, and how would the
> suit get past a motion to dismiss?

Thank you for making that point.  (I was thinking that.  I was also
thinking:  "In general, how is the copyright holder even going to find
out, let alone care?")

There are any number of legal issues people are curious about that will
probably never be adjudicated because nobody cares enough to pay for the
legal costs -- and this seems like a classic.