Seeking input on license of existing project

Christian Gunning bioboy at uga.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:16:05 UTC 2004

The license of this project is not necessarily under control of the developer,
an employee at an academic institution. We're trying to move the project over to
sourceforge, but we're not sure how "OSI kosher" this license is.

The parts I'm unsure about are #3 (advertising materials) and #5 (attribution).
  Your feedback is much appreciated.

primer3 release 0.9  (distribution 0_9_test)

 Copyright (c) 1996,1997,1998
        Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.      Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the  documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.  Redistributions of
source code must also reproduce this information in the source code itself.

2.      If the program is modified, redistributions must include a notice
(in the same places as above) indicating that the redistributed program is
not identical to the version distributed by Whitehead Institute.

3.      All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
software  must display the following acknowledgment:
        This product includes software developed by the
        Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research.

4.      The name of the Whitehead Institute may not be used to endorse or
promote products derived from this software without specific prior written
permission.

5.      We also request that use of this software be cited in publications as

Steve Rozen, Helen J. Skaletsky (1996,1997,1998)
   Primer3. Code available at
   http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/genome_software/other/primer3.html

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE WHITEHEAD INSTITUTE ``AS IS'' AND  ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE  IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE  ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE WHITEHEAD INSTITUTE BE LIABLE  FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL  DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS  OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)  HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGE.