Dual licensing

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Mon Jun 7 00:31:36 UTC 2004

nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com writes:

> 1. [Ian] You sell your software which is BSD-licensed. Do you give out free or
> evaluation copies under a different license, or perhaps crippled binary
> versions? What kind of prices do you charge, so that we have some idea of the
> barrier individuals would have to surmount in order to give it away free?

In our case the free evaluation copy is the public NetBSD sources,
although we support a range of additional hardware which we have not
(yet) contributed back.  We don't normally give out evaluation copies,
although we would probably do it if a prospective customer required it
to complete a sale.  In some cases a hardware company will hire us to
do a port, and will include an evaluation copy of the software with
evaluation hardware.  Those evaluation copies are not crippled nor are
they under a different license, though of course they do not come with
any support.  Pricing for the basic software without support ranges
from $3000 to $10,000 depending on the hardware platform--generally
newer stuff costs more, less common stuff costs more.

Ian