Dual licensing

nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com
Sun Jun 6 23:40:02 UTC 2004

All:

It has been an enlightening discussion, I have learnt from it. Some further
thoughts:

1. [Ian] You sell your software which is BSD-licensed. Do you give out free or
evaluation copies under a different license, or perhaps crippled binary
versions? What kind of prices do you charge, so that we have some idea of the
barrier individuals would have to surmount in order to give it away free?

2. [Marius] If I were selling self-contained applications instead of libraries,
I might use the (OT) AFPL, since that forces commercial use to require a
commercial license. The GPL would be fine for libraries. The rationale is
simple: self-contained apps do not require anything else to work, and a sold
distribution loses potential revenue; a library requires linking and compiling
with other code to work, so even a sold distribution could potentially bring in
revenue.

Cheers,
Glen Low, Pixelglow Software
www.pixelglow.com
reply to: glen dot low at pixelglow dot com