Dual licensing

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Sun Jun 6 12:56:53 UTC 2004

Marius Amado Alves <amado.alves at netcabo.pt> writes:

> For the 100000th time someone is trying to say that you can sell open
> source software. Some people including myself sustain that you can't,
> in practice. (That is, you can charge, and even sell a couple of
> copies, but you'll be out of business the next day, when someone
> starts giving copies for peanuts.) I asked the questions I did for two
> possibilities:

That is a convincing reason why there is a cap on profits you can make
by selling open source software.  If your profits get too high,
somebody will undercut you on price.  However, it is not a reason for
why you can not sell open source software at all.

Again, this is beside the point of whether you can reasonably describe
non-open-source software as "commercial open source."  I maintain that
you can not.

Ian