For Approval: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Dec 9 17:10:47 UTC 2004

Adriano Galano wrote:
[ ...with regard to the CDDL... ]
> Sorry, but I think that not follow the point 5 of OSD: "5. No Discrimination
> Against Persons or Groups". http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
> Excluding GPL are excluding a 65% of the OSI community

OSD #5 refers to "persons" and "groups of people"; the GPL is a license, not a
person.  The OSD does not require that newly proposed licenses be compatible
with other open-source licenses.

I believe that software licensed under the GPL could be used with software
licensed under the CDDL if the union of the two falls into what a legal expert
would call a compilation, but not if the union of the software creates a
derivative work.  That is not unusual: GPL clause #7 often prevents the
creation of derivative works.

--
-Chuck