For Approval: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Dec 2 20:25:02 UTC 2004

John Cowan wrote:
> Chuck Swiger scripsit:
[ ... ]
>> However, since the main purpose of that definition is to oblige people to
>> also release the source code in its preferred form if they release the
>> software in a modified or compiled form (such as on a T-shirt :-), I do not
>> regard this as a problem, nor would this affect compliance with the OSD.
>
> In particular, if you make more than fair use of the source in a book, you
> must distribute a CD-ROM or some such as well.

Right, this seems fair and reasonable.

>>>   6.4. In the event of termination under Sections 6.1 or 6.2 above,
>>>   all end user licenses (excluding distributors and resellers) that
>>>   have been validly granted by You or any distributor hereunder
>>>   prior to termination (excluding licenses granted to You by any
>>>   distributor) shall survive termination.
[ ... ]
> I think the intention here is to prevent you from setting up a shell
> company to be the distributor while you commit what violations you like.

OK, however, it seems that what happens to such distributors or resellers "in
the event of termination under Sections 6.1 or 6.2" is not clearly specified.

What happens to people excluded by the conditions of section 6.4?

[ ...with regard to the end of section 9... ]
> "Language" here is a term of art; it doesn't mean English or French, but
> the actual words and phrases used.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

--
-Chuck