For Approval: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

Mitchell Baker Mitchell at mozilla.org
Thu Dec 2 20:13:39 UTC 2004

I couldn't help but not the recommendation at the end to use this as a
recommended license in place of the MPL. I know this has been part of
Sun's agenda from the beginning, which I find extremely
disconcerting.  I've looked at this license and think there are some
ways that it simplifies things, but there may also be such other issues
with this language that may come up in use.   Why the big rush

Sun also asked for my opinion on this license. I did not accept any
money from Sun. I believe that there are useful approaches for
revising the MPL, but that replacing the MPL has a range of other
implications. These relate to its current use, compatibility among
projects, knowledge and acceptance of the MPL by a number of
institutions. And this assumes that the "simplifications" of this
license are all improvements, which is not yet clear.

I believe the Sun folks are willing to have their work reused in a
newer MPL version, and this is welcome. This great rush to recommend
an untested license as a replacement strikes me as very unfortunate.

Mitchell