For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Mon Sep 29 22:04:14 UTC 2003

>  > > Why should the GPL be any different to you?
>  >
>  > A patch under the GPL is the same as a patch released in an
>  > unusable form.  My bias and the OSSALs bias against the GPL stems
>  > from the terms in the GPL that prevent me from using GPL'ed code
>  > in products.
>
> Exactly my point.  It's not the GPL that you're biased against, but
> that's how you have your license written.

Well, I am though.  I'm biased against open source software that can't
be used in a product.  The GPL is the "anti-collaboration between
widget makers license."  I'm not particularly biased against the LGPL
or most any other license in existence that sees the light of day in
the open source community (save maybe the license that Java's released
under).

> As such, it will fail to achieve your stated goals.

I think I'll achieve my goals because of the contributions of the
folks on this list and duly appreciate your help in aiding my
efforts.

> On the other hand, the EU Datagrid license will.  I strongly suggest
> that you use their license, which I will be sending to the board for
> approval in short order.

I'm interested in the EU Datagrid license to see if it meets my needs,
but I haven't read it yet.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden