non-aggression pacts for patents and the GPL

will at osaia.org will at osaia.org
Tue Nov 25 17:45:12 UTC 2003

Larry wrote:

> I'm not sure why you mentioned paragraph 7 of the GPL, but not the fact
> that
> many other open source licenses ALREADY have even more effective
> provisions
> to prevent patent litigation -- with precisely the result you seek. It may
> be that Company X doesn't realize this.

Evidently. Perhaps the larger question is how others read the licenses,
and what their understanding of them is . At least one well known
developer I spoke with took a very negative view of this approach, and two
others who thought it was completely new. Then again, these folks lack the
in-depth understanding that you have.

thanks much,

Will