non-aggression pacts for patents and the GPL

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Nov 25 18:28:34 UTC 2003

Hi Will,

I'm not sure why you mentioned paragraph 7 of the GPL, but not the fact that
many other open source licenses ALREADY have even more effective provisions
to prevent patent litigation -- with precisely the result you seek. It may
be that Company X doesn't realize this.

I suggest you look at the following license provisions on the OSI website:

   Mozilla Public License § 8.2 and 8.3.

   Common Public License § 7

   Open Software License and Academic Free License § 10

These are just examples.  Many open source licenses do this.

/Larry Rosen