"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Jan 17 21:24:04 UTC 2003

Ian Lance Taylor scripsit:

> It's true, as I believe Ken Aromdee pointed out, that because Linus
> does not require copyright assignments, there are other copyright
> holders involved.

In any event, since it is most unlikely that those developers have
registered their copyrights (speaking of the U.S. only here), even in the
most flagrant breach of the license they would be restricted to actual,
provable, money damages.  And how likely is that?

IANAL, TINLA.

John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      jcowan at reutershealth.com
Be yourself.  Especially do not feign a working knowledge of RDF where
no such knowledge exists.  Neither be cynical about RELAX NG; for in
the face of all aridity and disenchantment in the world of markup,
James Clark is as perennial as the grass.  --DeXiderata, Sean McGrath