"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

PETERSON,SCOTT K (HP-USA,ex1) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Fri Jan 17 13:54:25 UTC 2003

Brian --

I agree with Larry that "mere aggregations" are "collective works" (at least
in general; I would not discount the possibility that one might find some
nuance of "collective work" that is not present in some "mere aggregation").
Also, I'd note that not all collective works are mere aggregations.

I read the GPL as giving permission to distribute the GPL-licensed code with
code under incompatible licenses when a part of some collective works (at
least those that are mere aggregations)(see the paragraph in GPL section 2
that mentions mere aggregations), but not when a part of all collective
works (see the two paragraphs preceding the mere aggregations paragraph).

-- Scott
Scott K. Peterson
Corporate Counsel
Hewlett-Packard Company