MIT-style license with a Code Integrity clause

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 24 10:03:10 UTC 2003

on Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:33:10PM -0700, Alex Rousskov (rousskov at measurement-factory.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I am looking for an OSI-certified, short, permissive,
> non-viral, MIT/BSD/Apache-style license with the "Integrity of The
> Author's Source Code" clause[1] that prohibits source-code from being
> distributed in modified form (except for patches and such).
>
> 	Does such a beast exist? Anything close the the above?

qmail, though there's no formal license.  See:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=warez#djb

Generally considered non-free, though OSD v4, *if* modified binaries may
be distributed.  DJB's qmail terms prohibit this last, therefore failing
OSD#4.

    http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

From a strategic standpoint, such licensing terms will tend to diminish
uptake and distribution of your work.  Again, in the case of qmail, the
package has been dropped from all major GNU/Linux distributions on
licensing grounds, as well as OpenBSD.  Possibly others.

IANAL, TINLA, YADA.

Peace.