Academic Free License version 2.0

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Aug 2 02:21:02 UTC 2003

Bruce, thanks for your comments.  My replies are inserted below.  /Larry
Rosen

Thanks for the "mostly-positive" comment.  :-)

I'm sorry you find the license too long.  If it takes a certain number
of words to be clear about what an academic-style license should do,
then that's the breaks.  If you can suggest briefer ways of saying
things, or fewer things to say, then help me by suggesting them.

I point out, however, that the AFL and OSL are already a full page
shorter than the GPL.

> May I suggest that, alongside AFL 2.0, you publish one last
> license in the AFL 1.x series, based on AFL 1.2 but with the
> applicable OSL 2.0 revisions merged in, i.e. sublicenseable,
> and with the revised, more palatable Termination for Patent
> Action clause?

Yet one more license?  :-)

> In addition, considering how different the wording of AFL
> 2.0 is from 1.x (even though the effect is similar), and the
> fact that there may be projects using 1.x, please do not
> withdraw the AFL 1.x when 2.0 is approved.  I would like to
> see them both in the list of approved licenses.

There's no reason earlier versions should be withdrawn.  But I strongly
encourage using the latest version.  It's up to the licensors, really.

/Larry Rosen