Variant of IBM Public License

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Wed Apr 30 19:34:37 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 01:51  PM, Chris Seitz wrote:

> Hello:
>
> A little background, then my query...
>
> NVIDIA's developer support group creates tools and demonstration
> source code
> primarily aimed at game developers and others doing real-time work. By
> and
> large, we publish source code to our SDK with very little restriction
> (e.g.
> just keep the header/copyright notice).
>
> We've come to realize that for particular tool under development, the
> community would be well served if we could provide them on an site,
> such as
> sourceforge. Primarily to let developers modify and extend the code at
> rate faster than we can.
>
> I've been working with our legal department and they suggest taking
> the IBM
> public license, changing the "IBM" to "NVIDIA" and changing the state
> from
> "New York" to "Delaware," and modifying the year of the copyright.

Hmm I see an equation in the future. The reluctance to object to a
(lesser accepted) license is inversely proportional to how much geeks
want to get their hands on the licensed code.  Or something like that.

Steve Mallett - Imagineer
http://OSDir.com on the O'Reilly Network | steve at osdir.com
http://opensource.org | webmaster at opensource.org
http://EmergentReport.com <news blog>
http://emergentreport.com/dj <personal blog>

"Don't hate the media, become the media."
			-Jello Biafra